HIV/AIDS Awareness Days
December 1st - World AIDS Day
An estimated 1.1 million Americans are living with HIV, and yet one out of five don't know it. World AIDS Day is an opportunity for us to take action!
The New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute focuses on empowering young people through education on how to remain HIV-negative and promote positive, healthy and informed choices regarding living a healthy life..
- Save the Date! December 1, 2015: Be Part of the Plan to End AIDS in New York State (PDF)
- Information on the NYSDOH AIDS Institute World AIDS Day event
- Blogs on www.aids.gov
Other Awareness Days
September 18th - National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day (NHAAAD)
The National AIDS Institute* launched National HIV/AIDS and Aging Awareness Day on September 18, 2008. NHAAAD is observed annually on or around September 18th. The campaigned is recognized by the U.S. Deparmtent of Health and Human Services, Office of HIV/AIDS Policy, and www.aids.gov.
*Please Note: This is not referring to the New York State Department of Health's AIDS Institute
September 27th - National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
The National Association of People with AIDS (NAPWA) founded this day, which began in 2008, to raise gay men's awareness of the HIV epidemic and the role they can play in bringing it to an end.
- Information on AIDS.gov
- Blog by Kevin A. Fenton, MD, PhD, FFPH - Director, CDC's National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention
October 15th - National Latino AIDS Awareness Day (NLAAD)
The Latino Commission on AIDS (LCOA), the Hispanic Federation and many other organizations organize this day. The NLAAD campaign works at building capacity for non-profit organizations and health departments to reach out to Latino/Hispanic communities, promote HIV testing and provide HIV prevention information and access to care.
- CDC's feature on Latino AIDS Awareness Day
- HIV Among Hispanics/Latinos - CDC
- AIDS.gov Recursos en Español
February 7th - National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NBHAAD)
- Moving Black Men Along the HIV Care Continuum - webinar
- Take Charge. Take the Test. - campaign for Black/African American women
- 2015 blog post by HHS Secretary Burwell
March 10th - National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NWGHAAD)
- CDC Information about NWGHAAD
- Read about progress made on the intersection of HIV/AIDS violence against women and girls, and gender-related health disparities
- Department of Health and Human Services - The Office on Women's Health (OWH)
March 20th - National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day is a collaborative effort between the organizations listed below. Please see their website for NNAAD information and events.
- Asian Pacific Islander Wellness Center
- NNAAD Events Map
- Great Plains Tribal Chairmen's Health Board
- National Native American AIDS Prevention Center
April 10th - National Youth HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
In 2012, at the International AIDS Conference, youth advocates announced the inauguration of National Youth HIV/AIDS Awareness Day. Advocates and other founding partners are recognizing the key role of youth in our collective response to HIV. In the United States, almost 40% of new infections are young people between the ages of 13 to 29.
May 18th - HIV Vaccine Awareness Day
This day is to recognize and thank the thousands of volunteers, community members, health professionals, and scientists who are working together to find a safe and effective HIV vaccine. This observance is also a day to educate our communitites about the importance of preventive HIV vaccine research.
- Be The Generation to End the AIDS Epidemic
- National Institute of Allergy & Infectious Diseases - HIV/AIDS
- Learn about prevention research
May 19th - National Asian & Pacific Islander HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- The Banyan Tree Project - a national campagin to end the silence and shame surrounding HIV/AIDS in Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
- Resources from AIDS.gov and The CDC
June 8th - National Caribbean-American HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
June 27th - National HIV Testing Day (NHTD)
This day was established as an annual observance to promote HIV testing.