Do You Want to Know More About Your Doctor?
Why was this site created?
To provide the public with profiles for all licensed doctors of medicine and doctors of osteopathy who are registered to practice medicine in New York State. Each profile contains information about a specific doctor. This information can assist you in choosing a new doctor and help you find out more about your current doctor.
How was the site created?
The Physician Profile Web Site was created when Governor George Pataki signed the New York Patient Health Information and Quality Improvement Act of 2000 making it possible for all citizens of New York to obtain information about physicians.
What is the Internet Address of the New York State Physician Profile Web Site?
The Internet address is: http://www.nydoctorprofile.com
What types of information can I find on this site?
The following information is required to be available to the public:
- Medical Education
- The names of hospitals the doctor is affiliated with
- Translation services available at the doctor's office
- Legal actions taken against the doctor, including medical malpractice events.
How do I find this information?
Doctor profiles can best be found by searching the site by the doctor's name.
What additional information can I find about a doctor?
Doctors may give extra information about their practice. Each physician is invited to add:
- The practice name, address and phone number of all offices
- The names of other doctors in a practice group
- A list of the articles or research papers the doctor has published
- A list of professional and community service activities or awards
- A list of the health plans the doctor works with
- A personal statement about any information in the doctor's profile
- Professional membership organizations the doctor participates in
Can I use the New York State Physician Profile Web Site to help me find a doctor?
Yes, you may search the web site by entering a field of medicine or a county or city in which you are looking for a doctor. Remember that a doctor will only be displayed by location if a doctor provides his/her address.
How do I make a complaint against a doctor?
Contact the Office of Professional Medical Conduct at 1-800-663-6114. They can be reached Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Eastern Time.
What do I do if I have questions about the NYS Physician Profile Web Site?
For questions about the web site you should contact the Call Center free of charge at: 1-888-338-6999. This service is available Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Eastern Time. You may also call to obtain a copy of the doctor's profile for a fee of $2.00.