Mandatory Electronic Prescribing Effective Date Extended to March 27, 2016
On March 13, 2015, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature amended the Public Health Law and the Education Law to extend the implementation date for mandatory electronic prescribing to March 27, 2016.
Although this amendment extends the effective date of mandated electronic prescribing, e-prescribing of both controlled and non-controlled substances is currently permissible in New York. Practitioners must continue their efforts to become compliant with the requirement, including working with their software vendors to implement the additional security requirements needed for e-prescribing of controlled substances, and registering their certified software applications with the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement.
Information regarding e-prescribing may be accessed at the following links:
- Electronic Prescribing Waiver Information
- Electronic Prescribing is Now Available? (Poster) (PDF, 1.5MB)
To order free copies of this poster send an email to email@example.com. Include your name, address including ZIP code, phone number, and quantity of posters desired
- What is Electronic Prescribing? (Patient Brochure) (PDF, 381KB)
To order free copies of this brochure send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name, address including ZIP code, phone number, and quantity of brochures desired
- Letter to Practitioners Regarding Electronic Prescribing Mandate – November 2015 (PDF, 216KB)
- FAQs (PDF, 1.5MB) - Updated January 2016 - New FAQ's see Questions : 8-9, 12-13, 15, 18-20, 26, 34-36, 39, and 51-56 New Waiver FAQ's 133-135
- BNE Newsletter – Fall 2015 (PDF, 503KB)