WIC Program - Women, Infants, Children
The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) offers nutrition education, breastfeeding support, referrals and a variety of nutritious foods to low-income pregnant, breastfeeding or postpartum women, infants and children up to age five to promote and support good health.
WIC improves the health of pregnant women, new mothers and their infants and children. The foods provided through WIC are a good source of nutrients often missing from the diets of women and young children. WIC participants have longer, healthier pregnancies and fewer premature births.
Find Out More About WIC
Do I qualify for WIC?
To qualify, you must:
- Be a
- A pregnant woman;
- An infant or child up to five years old;
- A mother of a baby up to six months old; OR
- A breastfeeding mother of a baby up to 12 months old.
- Be a resident of New York State, but you do not need to be a U.S. citizen.
- Meet the income eligibility guidelines OR receive benefits from Food Stamps, Medicaid or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
- Be assessed by a WIC health care professional.
Fill out the WIC Prescreening Tool to find out if you might be eligible for WIC.
How do I apply for WIC?
Visit our How do I apply for WIC? information page to find out:
- How to make an appointment
- What to bring to your appointment
- What to expect at your appointment
- WIC Participant Rights and Responsibilities
WIC's mission is to partner with you and your family, providing:
- Breastfeeding promotion and support
- Healthy lifestyle promotion and support
- Individualized food packages
- Nutrition counseling focused on your needs and concerns
- Convenient hours, locations and services
- Referrals to other health and social services
For more information on WIC:
- The WIC Program is funded by the United States Department of Agriculture. Visit their WIC website.
- Download the WIC Participant Handbook - currently available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian and French.
- Fraud: It's a trap
- Selling or swapping WIC checks or foods is against the law (PDF)
- Together we can stop WIC Program fraud and abuse (PDF)
How do I shop with my WIC checks?
During your WIC appointment, WIC staff will review with you how to shop using your WIC checks.
- WIC staff will provide a list of authorized stores, where you can shop using your WIC checks.
- All authorized WIC stores, including pharmacies, must post a WIC cling or sign at the entrance of the store. This sign lets you know the store can accept WIC checks.
- If you have any questions, call your WIC local agency and they will assist you.
- Foods that WIC Participants are allowed to purchase with their WIC checks.
- Check out a pictorial version of the WIC Foods Guide! (PDF). The guide is available in other languages as well:
USDA Nondiscrimination Statement
Visit the Nutrition main page to find information about other Nutrition Programs