Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification for NYS Children's Camps and Bathing Facilities
Fact Sheet – March 2016
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification for Children's Camps and Bathing Facilities is available in Portable Document Format (PDF).
The New York State Sanitary Code requires certain staff to possess a valid two-rescuer cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification in a course accepted by the Department as providing an adequate level of training as follows:
- Children's Camps – CPR certification is required for the health director and other staff specified in Subpart 7-2.8 and 7-2.11(a)(5), aquatics director, lifeguards and certain trip and activity leaders1.
- Swimming Pools and Bathing Beaches – CPR certification is required for all lifeguards (Supervision Levels I, IIa, IIb), Subpart 6 of the State Sanitary Code.
|American Heart Association3||BLS Instructor|
|BLS Provider (Course title -Basic Life Support)|
|Healthcare Provider (Course title -BLS for Healthcare Providers)|
|American Lifeguard Association||CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer Instructor Led|
|American Red Cross||CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and Healthcare Providers|
|Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers|
|American Safety & Health Institute||ASHI CPR for Professional Rescuer (CPR PRO)|
|Emergency Care and Safety Institute||Health Care Provider CPR|
|EMS Safety Services, Inc.||CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer|
|Heart & Stroke Foundation of Canada||Level C - Basic Rescuer CPR|
|National Safety Council||NSC Basic Life Support for Healthcare & Professional Rescuers|
|New York City Department of Parks & Recreation||Municipal CPR: Basic Life Support|
|New York State Department of Environmental Conservation||CPR/AED for Lifeguards, Camp Counselors and Camp Directors|
|Regional Emergency Medical Services Council of New York City||BCLS for Health Care Providers Course|
|St. John Ambulance Canada||Level C (Basic Rescuer) CPR|
- A trip leader of a camp trip that includes an activity where emergency medical care is not readily available or an activity such as wilderness hiking, rock climbing, camping, horseback riding, bicycling, swimming and/or boating shall possess or be accompanied by staff who possess certification in a course listed on this Fact Sheet. An activity leader of an activity on the camp property where other CPR certified staff is not readily available shall possess or be accompanied by staff who possess certification in a course listed on this Fact Sheet.
- CPR Certifications are Valid for ONE year from the Date of Certification, Regardless of Expiration Date on Card
- Certification listing "Laerdal Medical" as the "TC address contact Info" and "Course Location" on the back of the card are not acceptable.